Re: what's the nice package to open eps file

On 2012-01-03 15:36:48 +1100, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> *Edit* and *Open* are not the same thing.

First, GIMP is an editing tool, not a viewing tool. If you want to
view an image file without editing it, there are much better tools
for that (with a simpler UI, faster to load, and so on).

Second, GIMP is a bitmap image tool. Even if you don't want to edit
the file, viewing a vector file with GIMP is a bad idea because you
won't be able to zoom without a loss of quality.

> The OP asked what could open an .eps
> The question was answered.

Emacs can also open .eps files. But I doubt the answer would be a
good one. Ditto for GIMP.

> Vectors is a straw man, as is the implication that I advised GIMP was
> *the* program to *open* an .eps (GIMP will open an .eps file, and it
> will save it as a valid .eps file).

valid, but huge and/or with a low quality. And without the original
data.