Re: A lot of problems with debian sid on a Notebook

Le 24.12.2012 00:41, Lisi Reisz a écrit :
On Sunday 23 December 2012 23:31:37 berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
I do not know what kind of interface your are accustomed to, but you
could try XFCE or LXDE.
In fact, you could also install more than one, and try them from time
to time, in the login manager, you can often choose the DE when you
installed more than one. That's a convenient feature for people who like
to try different things, and when you have build your opinion, just
remove DE you do not like is really easy.

In short, just take the DE which fit your needs. I would say that the Big Two, Gnome and KDE, are made for users which have very few time to invest in their system, and do not want to even install new softwares.
They are near the complete OS, IMHO.

In second, you have desktops like XFCE and LXDE, which are more like
what you have with a vanilla windows: you have everything you need to
simply use a computer, but not softwares to do real tasks.

Don't forget the minority DEs:  Mate, Cinnamon, Trinity DE etc.  XFCE
is more
by way of being a complete running system than you credit it with
being.  But
I agree that nothing is as top-heavy as KDE 4 and GNOME 3.  Since
GNOME 2 and
KDE 3 still have their devoted fans, one needs to specify the numbers.

Lisi

Forgive me, you are right, there are plenty of DEs, and things are becoming worse since gnome 3 has been released. I was not a linux user when KDE 4 was. My intention was not to enumerate all DEs, but to give a rough idea of existing things in that domain.

I mean, I wanted to enumerate easy to distinguished categories of DE, which is obviously not easy (and I guess I should avoid to do that, since I'm a true linux user since only 2-3 years, but... I can not, sounds like I have a very big ego, so thanks to every one which said me that I'm wrong, and same for every one which will say the same in future, you will notice that it will happen quite often :D ).

How could we do a distinction between the DE you have quoted, and XFCE or LXDE, what are their differences? They probably embed more or less features, but is there is an obvious line to make a category? I do not think so.