Re: A lot of problems with debian sid on a Notebook

Le 24.12.2012 00:08, Thore a écrit :
Am 23.12.2012 22:19, schrieb berenger.morel@neutralite.org:

Le 23.12.2012 20:48, Thore a écrit :
Am 23.12.2012 20:45, schrieb Thore:
Am 23.12.2012 17:32, schrieb berenger.morel@neutralite.org:
Both entrys have a pae, my question is: can (and how can) I remove
the ...-2-686-pae entry?

As many other people said, your usual package manager is able to remove kernels. Aptitude will warn you if you are removing the last kernel of your system. And it will update grub accordingly. As others I guess :)

2:My Network Manager is not working right.
First the Wlan wasn't working I installed the driver and it worked.
The next day I restarted and nothing worked.
I needed a few time to set up eth0.
Over eth0 I can use Iceweasel and aptitude but the networkmanager (kde) doesn't accepts the connection. Because of this Pidgin is not
working.
wlan isn't working too.

eth0 and wlan0 are two different things. wlan usually means, wireless, and wireless have often closed source drivers. So with debian, you will need to enable them by yourself. Wiki and internet are full of informations about that, but, in short, enable contrib and non-free repo in your /etc/apt/sources.list, know your hardware with $lspci or $lsusb and you should have enough informations to discover what you need to install.

Eth0 is usually working fine with generic, and free, versions, this is why it works. If your network manager gives you problem... the solution I took until now, which is not advised, is to only enable the kind of network you need.

In few words, this consist about using commands like #ifdown <eth0/wlan0>, #ifdown <eth0/wlan0> and editing the file named /etc/network/interfaces. Of course, this is not an automated solution, but it avoids the use of any software taking decisions for you.
I set up wlan0 with the iwifi driver it worked fine, but than i
shutdown the laptop and nothing worked anymore. Than I set up eth0 (I can use the www with iceweasel or aptitude) but wlan0 doesn't works and the network manager meant I have no connection, I think thats the
reason, why pidgin isn't connecting.

The way I'm doing it:
I use #ifdown <network> and #ifup <network> to be sure to have only one up at a time, and I use #vim /etc/network/interfaces to add wireless networks, by adding following lines:
wpa-ssid <router-name>
wpa-key <the key :) >

It's not exactly something I would recommend to users, but it works well. I simply should do a script to switch wireless networks in the interfaces file, because commenting and decommenting lines is boring :)

About your question to switch to Ubuntu, well... if you do not want to spend time maybe it is better, I do not know, I tried it many years ago but did not liked it. But I love to tinker, so it was obvious that I could not like a distro where it is hard to do fun things like destroying the system :D If you stay with Debian, in my opinion, debian testing (Wheezy, IIRC, never sure of the distro names...) is good enough for a normal user. For production servers, I would prefer the stable Debian.

Thank you for your answer,
you are right a system which is hard to destroy is boring.
I will try it out with an 64bit system,
maybe it works with it,if not there would be ubuntu.
My server isn't an production server and when it could be used as an production Server wheezy is stable. So I will start the installation now and hopefully the kernels are away
regards
Thore

Sorry I forgot to ask which desktop enviroment is better for killing
the system ;-)

Hehehe... I think the best DE to destroy the system is x-terminal-emulator with the su command :) I've destroyed and repaired my debian often enough to know that when you love tinkering the best DE you can find is the one you will build. To do that, you just need a window manager and something to run commands. This last software can be a terminal emulator, a menu software, or, more often, both of them, a text editor and a package manager. When you have them, find a web browser, and a software for each action you are doing on your computer. Usually, peoples like to have a file manager, a music player, a network manager, plus various tools according to what they are doing (in my situation, a C++ compiler, a version manager for source code, a resource monitor, a pdf-viewer, an image editor - xpaint is nice, but could be more user friendly with a single window - a calculator...). Thinking about that, a DE is not so many softwares... I wonder if there is a guide to "build" our own DE. Could be a nice thing to write!

For your kernel problem, just try to start aptitude in a terminal, without argument, and search for "linux-image-" and you will be able to remove kernels you do not want. Thinking about destroying the system... I remember I said I would install gentoo during my holydays ... or build a kernel from scratch, that's a nice exercise too. I love holidays :D
Yes therefore holidays would be nice.
I installed debian in 64 bit with GNOME now was very/extremely
schocked and install now kde.
I needed 20 minutes to shut down the system. I didn't found the
button and needed 10 minutes more for the terminal shutdown (i didn't
found the terminal)
This was the worst experience I've ever made.
but the entrys were away and the networkmanager worked. I put the
firmware for the wlan card on an USB Drive and the system found them.
So hopefully my networks problems would be away under kde.
If not i ask again.
for a kernel my time and my experience are not enough. I had enough
problems with my server.
regards
Thore

DE really depends on what you like, but it seems gnome 3 is highly rejected by it's old users. I think this reason would be a very good one to simply copy windows 's DE, if we want to have more users (but do we really want that? I'm still unsure, there are good pros and cons), because it would allow new users to keep their habits in a first time. Then, when the first time is passed, they could try other stuff... or not. On my side, I've more or less always used command line tools, since my childhood, so it is not so surprising that I now mostly use it, with only few softwares.

I do not know what kind of interface your are accustomed to, but you could try XFCE or LXDE. In fact, you could also install more than one, and try them from time to time, in the login manager, you can often choose the DE when you installed more than one. That's a convenient feature for people who like to try different things, and when you have build your opinion, just remove DE you do not like is really easy.

In short, just take the DE which fit your needs. I would say that the Big Two, Gnome and KDE, are made for users which have very few time to invest in their system, and do not want to even install new softwares.
They are near the complete OS, IMHO.

In second, you have desktops like XFCE and LXDE, which are more like what you have with a vanilla windows: you have everything you need to simply use a computer, but not softwares to do real tasks.

At last, you have "mad guys", which are proud to be so, which build their environment from scratch, like me. We do not compile things by ourselves (well... some do that, too) or learn programming, we just accept to read documentations and software descriptions. For that kind of people, aptitude (without arguments, the ncurses GUI)is a powerful tool IMHO, because it is easy to use it to have a description of installed or needed softwares. Just, install debtags first, because it will give you some very nice hints.

OT:
I am thinking that creating a guide to select softwares people really needs, aka, building and configuring their own "desktop environment", understandable by people without great knowledge of computer sciences, could be interesting. I have noticed that there are many quality tools outside usual DEs which interact well between them, and sounds easy enough to use when you are accustomed to only one of them. The problem is that I do not know where on the vast Internet such a guide should take place, and I could not write it alone...