Re: A lot of problems with debian sid on a Notebook

Am 23.12.2012 01:57, schrieb berenger.morel@neutralite.org:
Le 23.12.2012 00:51, Thore a écrit :
Hello,
on my Alienware m15x Notebook I installed debian wheezy (in the 32bit
version with kde).

Hum, knowing that it is an alienware say nothing about the processor model, so maybe the 32bit choice is not the best one.
I do not know, for now I did not read your full mail.

It is an i3 with 64bit support, I had a 32bit cd here so used it without thinkink about it.
The system has 5gb ram

Now I have a few questions:
1: When I boot there will be 4 linux entrys with the kernel name. one
ending ...-4-686-pae (or like this) ando one with a 2 as the 4.
    Can I delete the entry with the 2 (inclusive the recovery?)
    And how can I delete it?

PAE is an extension to expand your maximum RAM above 4G byte of RAM, which is not possible for motherboards with simple 32 bit support. However, noawadays, I do not think there are still new computers without 64 bit support, which include the ability to support more RAM than old (and when I say old, that's more than 10 years) computers. I think you could remove non-pae options. In fact, I'm pretty sure you could simply move to a 64 bit architecture... but in doubt, just try to boot on pae, and if everything works correctly, remove the other one.
Both entrys have a pae, my question is: can (and how can) I remove the ...-2-686-pae entry?

2:My Network Manager is not working right.
First the Wlan wasn't working I installed the driver and it worked.
The next day I restarted and nothing worked.
I needed a few time to set up eth0.
Over eth0 I can use Iceweasel and aptitude but the networkmanager
(kde) doesn't accepts the connection. Because of this Pidgin is not
working.
wlan isn't working too.

eth0 and wlan0 are two different things. wlan usually means, wireless, and wireless have often closed source drivers. So with debian, you will need to enable them by yourself. Wiki and internet are full of informations about that, but, in short, enable contrib and non-free repo in your /etc/apt/sources.list, know your hardware with $lspci or $lsusb and you should have enough informations to discover what you need to install.

Eth0 is usually working fine with generic, and free, versions, this is why it works. If your network manager gives you problem... the solution I took until now, which is not advised, is to only enable the kind of network you need.

In few words, this consist about using commands like #ifdown <eth0/wlan0>, #ifdown <eth0/wlan0> and editing the file named /etc/network/interfaces. Of course, this is not an automated solution, but it avoids the use of any software taking decisions for you.
I set up wlan0 with the iwifi driver it worked fine, but than i shutdown the laptop and nothing worked anymore. Than I set up eth0 (I can use the www with iceweasel or aptitude) but wlan0 doesn't works and the network manager meant I have no connection, I think thats the reason, why pidgin isn't connecting.

3: shall i reinstall the 64bit version?

If it was working previously, I think yes. 32 bit will only be slower. I can see no interest of using 32b when you can use 64b. I might be wrong, so, please, explain me why you switched back to 32B?
I had an cd for wheezy with 32bit here laying around and had used it. I wasn't thinking about that it is a 32bit verison.