Re: A lot of problems with debian sid on a Notebook

Am 23.12.2012 13:06, schrieb Dom:
On 23/12/12 10:50, Thore wrote:
Am 23.12.2012 01:57, schrieb berenger.morel@neutralite.org:
Le 23.12.2012 00:51, Thore a écrit :
Hello,
on my Alienware m15x Notebook I installed debian wheezy (in the 32bit
version with kde).

Hum, knowing that it is an alienware say nothing about the processor
model, so maybe the 32bit choice is not the best one.
I do not know, for now I did not read your full mail.

It is an i3 with 64bit support, I had a 32bit cd here so used it without
thinkink about it.
The system has 5gb ram

Now I have a few questions:
1: When I boot there will be 4 linux entrys with the kernel name. one
ending ...-4-686-pae (or like this) ando one with a 2 as the 4.
Can I delete the entry with the 2 (inclusive the recovery?)
And how can I delete it?

PAE is an extension to expand your maximum RAM above 4G byte of RAM,
which is not possible for motherboards with simple 32 bit support.
However, noawadays, I do not think
there are still new computers without 64 bit support, which include
the ability to support more RAM than old (and when I say old, that's
more than 10 years) computers.
I think you could remove non-pae options. In fact, I'm pretty sure you
could simply move to a 64 bit architecture... but in doubt, just try
to boot on pae, and if everything works correctly, remove the other one.
Both entrys have a pae, my question is: can (and how can) I remove the
...-2-686-pae entry?

apt-get purge linux-image-3.2.0-2-486-pae

But this is moot if you are going to install the 64 bit version from scratch.

I make an USB drive ready for wheezy, i will install it today,
but I'm thinking about using ubuntu, it was a great expierience as I tried.
I'm using debian at my server and hove no problems with the console but the desktop is a rpblem for me. I need the system next week, and I don't know wether I can set it up ready for using.
There is ubuntu easier
But there I want to go are a lot of people who could help me.
What shall I do?
regards
Thore