Re: wheezy, grub2, hidden menu, shift-key to display menu

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 05:05:34PM +1100, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> On 12/21/12, Frank McCormick <debianlist@videotron.ca> wrote:
> > On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 00:19:58 -0500
> > Frank McCormick <debianlist@videotron.ca> wrote:

> >>    I believe it is GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT in /etc/default/grub.
> >>
> >>    Set it to 5. If no key is pressed during that timeout...then system
> >> boots. I don't know whether the other timeout affects it. Actually on
> >> my system the keyword is not even in the file...I got the info from
> >> info -f grub -n "Simple Configuration"
>
> Here's my /etc/default/grub now:
>
> GRUB_DEFAULT=0
> GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=5
> GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=false
> GRUB_TIMEOUT=0

Maybe increase the "GRUB_TIMEOUT" value to one > 0, this could be the
window where your keypress is active? I'm only guessing here, but
hopefully not too wild.

> Instead, I have to press a magical ESC key at a magical point in time
> (some time after a very brief "Grub" text splash line or two...

Because of "GRUB_TIMEOUT=0" ??

> Surely it's possible...?

I think you'll have more luck asking on a specific grub support list as
it is no longer Debian specific.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X