Re: wheezy, grub2, hidden menu, shift-key to display menu

On 12/21/12, Frank McCormick <debianlist@videotron.ca> wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 00:19:58 -0500
> Frank McCormick <debianlist@videotron.ca> wrote:
>> On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 15:41:14 +1100
>> Zenaan Harkness <zen@freedbms.net> wrote:

>> > What I want to achieve:
>> > A hidden grub menu, with or without a "press key for menu"
>> > timeout/countdown; if I am holding down SHIFT or some other key on
>> > boot, I want the grub menu to appear, but not otherwise.
>> >
>> > Is this possible?
>> >
>> > If so, how to?
>>

>>    I believe it is GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT in /etc/default/grub.
>>
>>    Set it to 5. If no key is pressed during that timeout...then system
>> boots. I don't know whether the other timeout affects it. Actually on
>> my system the keyword is not even in the file...I got the info from
>> info -f grub -n "Simple Configuration"

Here's my /etc/default/grub now:

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=5
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=false
GRUB_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet "
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768
GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"
GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"

To get to the grub menu, I have to press ESCape, using shift key
(either) won't work.

I want to be able to just hold down either shift key after hitting the
laptop's power button to turn in on, and have the grub menu appear.

Instead, I have to press a magical ESC key at a magical point in time
(some time after a very brief "Grub" text splash line or two...

Surely it's possible...?

TIA