Re: wheezy, grub2, hidden menu, shift-key to display menu

On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 15:41:14 +1100
Zenaan Harkness <zen@freedbms.net> wrote:

> I'm on a Lenovo Thinkpad X220 laptop.
>
> $ uname -v
> #1 SMP Debian 3.2.32-1
>
> $ grub-mkconfig --version
> grub-mkconfig (GRUB) 1.99-23
>
> $ cat /etc/debian_version
> wheezy/sid
>
> $ sudo update-grub
> Generating grub.cfg ...
> Found background
> image: /usr/share/images/desktop-base/desktop-grub.png Found linux
> image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-4-amd64 Found initrd
> image: /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-4-amd64 Found linux
> image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-3-amd64 Found initrd
> image: /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-3-amd64 Found Windows 7 (loader)
> on /dev/sda1 Found Windows 7 (loader) on /dev/sda2
> done
>
> Now, I searched the d-u archives, so sorry if this has been covered,
> but I couldn't find it. I've also been googling and reading various
> websites, trying various /etc/default/grub combinations, reading
> grub-mkconfig man/info, but to no avail so far.
>
> What I want to achieve:
> A hidden grub menu, with or without a "press key for menu"
> timeout/countdown; if I am holding down SHIFT or some other key on
> boot, I want the grub menu to appear, but not otherwise.
>
> Is this possible?
>
> If so, how to?

   I believe it is GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT in /etc/default/grub.

   Set it to 5. If no key is pressed during that timeout...then system
boots. I don't know whether the other timeout affects it. Actually on
my system the keyword is not even in the file...I got the info from
info -f grub -n "Simple Configuration"

--
Frank McCormick <debianlist@videotron.ca>