Re: Slow network performance with KVM

Katynski, Bogdan wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > On Squeeze you would want to use a backported 3.2 kernel.  It would be
> > worthwhile to try it if you are suffering from this performance
> > problem.  Here are instructions:
>
> I installed the backported 3.2.0 kernel and forced vhost-net module load @boot in /etc/modules. However, the VMs still suffer the same network issue and I don't see any vhost option for the kvm processes:

Then it definitely is not being used.

> > You might also want to try the backported newer versions of libvirt-bin
> > kvm packages.  There have been several improvements.

I don't recall but it is likely that in order to use the vhost-net
driver that the newer kvm and related packages are required.

I do know that I had a large network performance difference between
using the vhost-net driver and not using it.  I would need to set up a
test case and benchmark now to recapture data on how much.  But I
remember that it was large.  I am sure that you will do better with
the driver than without it.

> I will follow your advice and also try a newer version of kvm and
> libvirt. Since this is a development system, I'll have to schedule
> some downtime before I proceed with the upgrade. I'll write the
> effects here to the group as soon as I get a long enough time slot
> for the upgrade.

Another possibility would be to use a different system for this
development and testing.  Because it is very easy to install and use
(literally just an apt-get away) you could turn any system into a VM
hosting system very easily, as long as it has the resources.  I always
suggest grabbing a different machine for these types of tests.  Then
you can safely do this development off to the side without disrupting
the main system.  After you have determined the proper configuration
and developed the recipe then you can take the main system forward.
This strategy is sometimes called "make before break".

Of course I have a variety of hardware on my network that is always
being rotated and turned over and so using temporary development
laboratory victim machines is easy.  If you do not have the hardware
available then you will need to use your own judgement.

Bob