Re: Slow network performance with KVM

Katynski, Bogdan wrote:

> I noticed a rather poor network guest-guest performance.

Have you loaded the vhost-net kernel module?  It is a huge lever for
network performance.

What is the output:

  $ lsmod | grep vhost_net

Here are a couple of references:

  http://www.linux-kvm.com/content/how-maximize-virtio-net-performance-vhost-net

  http://lwn.net/Articles/346267/

> Is there any way to get a better network performance? I've read
> somewhere on the internet somebody complaining about 22Gbit/s and
> here I cannot even reach half of a Gbit. Some kernel / virtio driver
> settings I should look at? I know that this is a hard to answer
> question but maybe I'm missing something obvious here?

Since you haven't mentioned the vhost-net driver I am going to assume
that you are not running it.  Set that up.  Verify that your kvm host
configuration is using it.

  $ ps -ef | grep qemu | grep --color vhost
  ... vhost=on,vhostfd=21 ...

  $ ps -ef | grep --color vhost
  root      9599     2  0 21:51 ?        00:00:00 [vhost-9598]

Please let us know how it works out for you.

Bob