Re: [OT] Good quality hair dryer needed for Squeeze

On Sun, 2012-12-16 at 22:50 -0500, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> On 12/12/2012 8:02 PM, Mark Panen wrote:
> > "The OP should be experienced with soldering multi-layer boards" really
> > why should he be? Are all IT personal hardware fundies as well? I
> > started late in the IT business with a totally different previous
> > vocation, and can do all except put a CPU & mobo and cooler together,
> > anyway lets not carry on with this.
> >

> I agree with the comment.  The suggestions are a way the OP might be
> able to fix a failing MB.  To do this successfully, experience is
> soldering multi-layer boards is almost a must.
>
> It doesn't matter whether YOU can do it or not.  You're not the OP.
>
> BTW - I also started late in the IT business (full time in 1977, though
> I was programming 10 years before that) - my experience before that was
> all electronics.  Multilayer boards are no fun.

Sometimes a board only should be repaired with a professional brandet
hot air soldering station. To notice at what point you need unpayable
expensive soldering tools, before you damage something, needs
experiences. Usually you can use a good soldering iron or at least
conventional professional brandet soldering and unsoldering stations.

Since this is an open mailing list, we IMO should point out to be
careful.

If there should be a crack in a conductor path, somebody who knows how
to solder, even without much experience, usually is able to fix it with
even an elCheapo soldering iron, but in some cases you e.g. can damage
the connections of the vias, so it's important to be aware of this.

I need reading glasses for some time past and I don't own professional
glasses for soldering. A friend need reading glasses too, but he has got
special professional glasses for soldering. Repairing modern boards
sometimes needs special tools.

Btw. I'm experienced in soldering, I did a lot of audio and video
engineering in my life. I several times repaired sewing machines,
laptops etc., while I always repaired the electronics, I very often
damaged the casing and it sometimes needed days to mount the casing,
after the electronic was repaired within some minutes.

What I want to say is, that even if you have much experiences in doing
something, there are some very common miscalculation. I know how to open
many computer cases even without damaging a seal of warranty, but I
don't know every plug made of plastic, inside every sewing machine.

I encourage everybody to repair as much as possible by ourself and to
encourage people does include to share experiences.

2 Cents,
Ralf