"apt-get BUG" OR "OPERATOR Error"?

Though I might be classed as a *nix newbie, I've been doing a series of manual "expert installs" with the eventual goal of determining what *I* might want in a preseed.cfg file for some automated experimental *MINIMALISTIC* installs.;/

When I get to "Select and Install software", I chose *ONLY* "Standard system utilities" and completing install with defaults.

My APPARENT problem begins after the initial reboot.

If my initial logon is followed by [ su <CR> password <CR> apt-get install gdm gedit<CR>] there is NO problem after following reboot.

*HOWEVER*

If my initial logon is followed by [ su <CR> password <CR> apt-get install gdm gedit gnome-terminal<CR>] a reboot dumps me at a root terminal screen with apparently no way to get a gnome screen.

ME or DEBIAN at fault?

TIA even if I must duck ;/