Re: How recover from aborted dist-upgrade Stable to Testing (due to apt-listbug bug 585448)

nv wrote:
> After so much time wasted researching and feeling out different options, I
> decided that it was finally time for me to switch to Wheezy (actually, testing).

Fine.

> I did aptitude update, aptitude upgrade, then converted my /etc/apt/sources.list
> to use 'stable' instead of 'squeeze.'  Again aptitude update, aptitude upgrade.
> I was clean.

At this moment Squeeze is still Stable and so there is no difference
between the two steps that you did above.  No difference.

> I moved /etc/apt/preferences to preferences.bak.  Again, aptitude
> update, aptitude upgrade shows clean.  I installed apt-listbugs SPECIFICALLY in
> preparation for a cautious dist-upgrade.  I converted my /etc/apt/sources.list
> to use 'testing' instead of 'stable,' and did aptitude update,
> aptitude dist-upgrade.

This is where you went wrong.  You did not read the upgrade notes:

  http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/releasenotes

Specifically you did not follow this step:

  http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/amd64/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#minimal-upgrade

At this point you needed to do an 'upgrade' *before* doing a
'dist-upgrade'.  That was the critical problem.  The upgrade will
prevent packages from being removed and will upgrade dpkg and apt
before going further.  Then you will have the new apt/dpkg for the
subsequent dist-upgrade.

But read the upgrade doc for other details.

> When reading about all the people who hit this bug, everyone stated that the
> solution is to uninstall apt-listbugs or patch it before dist-upgrade.  But, I
> found no one who described how to recover from the hit.
>
> I suspect that I might be able to simply clear some flag to cleanly abort the
> dist-upgrade, (which would, hopefully, clear out the conflicts) but do not know
> where to look.  But, I am open to any ideas.  Hopefully, the power doesn't go
> out, because I am not confident of a successful boot at this point. :>
> Although, again, it seems that NOTHING was actually installed yet.  It is this
> apparent fact which gives me great hope.

I am not sure the best way to recover.  No time to read about your
problem further.

Bob