Re: time zone and UTC issue

On Sat, 1 Dec 2012 14:19:50 +0000
Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net> wrote:

<snip>
> Just make sure that the date is set correctly (run "date" and set it
> with "date --set="newdate" if it's wrong).  Then run
>   hwclock --utc --systohc
> to set the hardware clock from the system clock in UTC.  Look at
> /etc/adjtime and you should see UTC on the third line.  Use --local
> in place of --utc, and it switches it back to LOCAL.  I'd definitely
> recommend using UTC though.

</snip>
> Regards,
> Roger

I have saved your full email as a future reference and it will be a good
reference for those who are suffering with the same confusion as mine, before
reading your email. Many many thanks for your contribution.

I have checked my /etc/adjtime and found

[.....]
-0.408399 1354206971 0.000000
1354206971
UTC
[......]

So my system is following the UTC :-)

And also set the H/W clock to UTC with "hwclock --utc --systohc"

still my H/W clock shows local timezone !!!

How can I keep the H/W to UTC then and how can I apply different
timezone to different login user ? say someone use german and another different
login user use uk timezone. dpkg-reconfigure sure change the H/W timezone to UTC, but
also changes local.

Once again thanks for your excellent clarifications.