Re: Quest: Moving IDE drives between machines

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 1:29 PM, Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 12:06:51 -0800
> Kelly Clowers <kelly.clowers@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Dennis Wicks <wix@mgssub.com> wrote:
>> > Greetings:
>> >
>> > One of my Linux machines has crashed and root drive or IDE
>> > controller is bad.
>> >
>> > Can I unplug an IDE drive and plug it into another machine?
>> > I have a vague recollection that this caused problems back
>> > when I was running MS/DOS, but not sure. Is it OK today?
>>
> <snip>
>>
>> Now, Windows still has some issues with that (if booting), due to the
>> the NT HAL...but even there it should* be possible as long as stay on
>> the same brand (Intel/AMD) on relatively modern systems (say, x86-64
>> era)
>>
>> * I have not tested this. Not responsible if it lets the magic smoke
>> out of your computer :-)
>>

> Not for some time. Many years ago, I had a triple-boot Windows machine,
> and moved the drives into new hardware:
>
> NT4.0 complained of a non-working network card, fixed by a new driver.
> Apart from that, it didn't even notice that it had a new home.
>
> Win98 asked for its CD and rebooted about a dozen times, but eventually
> staggered to its feet and ran reliably.
>
> XP got reinstalled. Nothing at all could I do to get it running again.
> It was a retail version, there was no license issue, it had just
> committed itself so thoroughly to the initial hardware that it would
> not boot at all.
>
> I'd guess that nothing since XP will boot into new hardware. It does
> take a bit of effort to design a boot process that will check for new
> hardware and still manage to boot into wherever it finds itself. Once
> Microsoft had committed to requiring reactivation if more than very
> small hardware changes had been made, presumably it made no sense to
> continue this effort.

I don't know about 7 (or vista), but I have seen it work on XP,
actually. And I have seen it not work, due to APIC vs PIC HALs, and I
have repaired it. Manual HAL surgery is more trouble than reinstalling
as I remember it, but it can be done, if you want to for some reason.
SysPrep can take care of it also, when cloning...

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers