Re: Quest: Moving IDE drives between machines

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Dennis Wicks <wix@mgssub.com> wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> One of my Linux machines has crashed and root drive or IDE
> controller is bad.
>
> Can I unplug an IDE drive and plug it into another machine?
> I have a vague recollection that this caused problems back
> when I was running MS/DOS, but not sure. Is it OK today?

If you want to boot from it and it is in a different position (ports,
or master/slave with IDE), it takes a little effort to get it working.
If it is in the same position, or you do not need to boot from it,
there is no issue.

Well, ok, if you where booting from it and had compiled a custom
kernel with minimal drivers there could be an issue. Or if you are
trying to boot on a different architecture (x86 vs sparc or
something). But those are very unusual types of things.

Now, Windows still has some issues with that (if booting), due to the
the NT HAL...but even there it should* be possible as long as stay on
the same brand (Intel/AMD) on relatively modern systems (say, x86-64
era)

* I have not tested this. Not responsible if it lets the magic smoke
out of your computer :-)

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers