Re: "Abberant symptopm" or "bug worth attempting to duplicate"?

Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
Hi

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 09:25:12AM +0000, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Mi, 28 nov 12, 18:33:43, Richard Owlett wrote:

1st trial, 1st install, 1st try
  no swap, after "su & password"   attempted "apt-get install gdm3
gedit gparted"
result - massive crash

The error messages would have been very useful.

Of course - for an proper bug report.
After giving the highs and lows of my initial tries, that is why I asked "Do I have enough to justify ME spending time to get reproducible results?" That has an implied question "Would my results be expected due not having a primary partition or not having a swap partition?"

as there had been warning message of strangeness possible without
SWAP, not surprised

How much RAM does your test machine have?

I'm not sure on that machine. Automatic disk partitioning sets up a 2.5 GB SWAP partition.

 Assuming lack of memory is the
problem apt-get might have been killed by the OOM killer and as far as I
know this is logged.
(On OpenWRT one can see it with 'dmesg', don't know about Debian).

dmesg also works on debian - not because of any particular feature of
Debian, but rather because of that's the way the Linux kernel works -
it has a buffer (8K IIRC) which contains the last kernel messages.

Also: The default debian syslog config should write this to
/var/log/kern.log, where you will have the additional benefits of
timestamps. Obviously, if the crash is _really_ bad, then nothing may
end up on disk...

Knowing where to look is half the battle. Thanks all.