Re: "Abberant symptopm" or "bug worth attempting to duplicate"?

Hi

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 09:25:12AM +0000, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Mi, 28 nov 12, 18:33:43, Richard Owlett wrote:
> >
> > 1st trial, 1st install, 1st try
> >  no swap, after "su & password"   attempted "apt-get install gdm3
> > gedit gparted"
> > result - massive crash
>
> The error messages would have been very useful.
>
> > as there had been warning message of strangeness possible without
> > SWAP, not surprised
>
> How much RAM does your test machine have? Assuming lack of memory is the
> problem apt-get might have been killed by the OOM killer and as far as I
> know this is logged.
> (On OpenWRT one can see it with 'dmesg', don't know about Debian).

dmesg also works on debian - not because of any particular feature of
Debian, but rather because of that's the way the Linux kernel works -
it has a buffer (8K IIRC) which contains the last kernel messages.

Also: The default debian syslog config should write this to
/var/log/kern.log, where you will have the additional benefits of
timestamps. Obviously, if the crash is _really_ bad, then nothing may
end up on disk...

--
Karl E. Jorgensen