Re: which package has a binary like this sendmail one in exim?

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 09:42:31AM -0900, Britton Kerin wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I know exim sometimes contains a sendmail binary because on one system I
> get this:
>
>   brittonk@brittonkerin.com [~]# sendmail --version
>   Exim version 4.76 #1 built 26-Oct-2012 16:41:54
>   Copyright (c) University of Cambridge, 1995 - 2007
>   Berkeley DB: Berkeley DB 4.7.25: (April  4, 2012)
>   Support for: crypteq iconv() IPv6 PAM Perl OpenSSL Content_Scanning
> DKIM Old_Demime Experimental_SPF Experimental_SRS
>   Lookups (built-in): lsearch wildlsearch nwildlsearch iplsearch dbm
> dbmnz passwd
>   Authenticators: cram_md5 dovecot plaintext spa
>   Routers: accept dnslookup ipliteral manualroute queryprogram redirect
>   Transports: appendfile/maildir autoreply pipe smtp
>   Fixed never_users: 0
>   Size of off_t: 8
>   2012-11-28 11:17:54 non-existent configuration file(s): /etc/bh/exim/exim.conf

As far as I can tell exim doesn't contain a sendmail binary. It has a
symlink named sendmail that points to /usr/sbin/exim4, for compatability
purposes.

> But on my debian box (current stable distribution), there is no
> /usr/bin/sendmail binary even though I have exim installed.  There is a
> /usr/sbin/sendmail binary, but it doesn't seem to be the same one because:
>
>   $ /usr/sbin/sendmail --version
>   exim abandoned: unknown, malformed, or incomplete option --version
>
> I also found /usr/lib/sendmail but it does the same thing.
>
> Does anyone know what debian package provides the /usr/bin/sendmail program
> or its equivalent like on the first system described?

I get the same message when I run that command, but exim is working
fine. In fact:

$ sudo exim4 --help
Exim is a Mail Transfer Agent. It is normally called by Mail User Agents,
not directly from a shell command line. Options and/or arguments control
what it does when called. For a list of options, see the Exim
documentation.

What's the nature of the problem you're having?

--
John