Re: time zone and UTC issue [rant]

Ralf Mardorf wrote at 2012-11-28 11:04 -0600:
> If I save BIOS settings as a file and the hwclock is set to UTC, the
> files don't get the German time. The BIOS is the BIOS, it's neither
> Windows, I don't use Windows, but nor the BIOS is Linux, so Linux can't
> "translate" UTC to local time, when I save BIOS settings.
>
> Under Linux I never noticed any disadvantage, when the hwclock is set to
> local time. Why should there be issues?

Linux uses UTC.  Local time is always changing based on time zones and
daylight saving time.  Using UTC for the hardware clock (BIOS clock) is the
correct way and works.  If you are having trouble with using UTC for the
hardware clock, then it is probably because (1) Windows (if you dual boot) is
changing the time, or (2) you have (or someone/something has) configured
Linux to use local time for the hardware clock, which is possible though not
recommended.