Re: encfs over sshfs suffering with permission problem

"J. B" <bakshi12@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 09:28:21 +0530
> Kushal Kumaran <kushal.kumaran+debian@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> 1. Ensure both encfs and sshfs are running as you, not root or any other
>> user.
>>

> Confirmed
>
>> 2. Check for I/O errors both on the local box and the remote box (run
>> dmesg and look for suspicious logs).
>>
> nothing found
>
>> 3. Verify that you are able to create, delete and rename files on the
>> sshfs mountpoint directly.  Verify that newly-created files are writable
>> by you.
>
> on sshfs mount point
> ----------------------
>
> echo "test" > test.txt
> echo "test more" >> test.txt
>
>  cat test.txt
> test
> test more
>
> mv test.txt test12.txt
>
> rm test12.txt
>

>> 4. After mounting using sshfs and encfs, attach strace to the encfs
>> process (run strace -p <encfs-pid> -o ~/encfs.log -f), and try to create
>> a single file in the sshfs mountpoint (presumably this fails).  Then
>> detach the strace (C-c in that shell), and examine encfs.log for
>> permission errors (EPERM).  If you do not understand the log, reply back
>> with a link to the log.  The log might be large, so upload it to, for
>> example, paste.debian.net, rather than attaching it to your email.
>>

> cd to encfs mout point
>
> cd ../pcbackup_decrypt/
>
> touch 123
> touch: cannot touch `123': Permission denied
>
> log from strace
>
> <snipped log>

The log would suggest that encfs did not even attempt to create the
file, which is strange.  Run encfs with the -f and -v options, and see
if it generates any error messages in its logs while you try to write to
the filesystem.

--
regards,
kushal