Re: encfs over sshfs suffering with permission problem

"J. B" <bakshi12@gmail.com> writes:

> Dear list,
>
> My non admin user is added to the fuse group. restarted the box.
>
> I have mounted a remote folder within my local box using sshfs and then
> successfully created encfs over it and also copied some files into that
> folder. After that I have "fusermount -u" the encfs and then sshfs.
>
> Next time I have mounted that remote encrypted folder over sshfs,
> but the encfs mount point is empty !!! though sshfs mount point
> shows  .encfs file.
>
> whenever I try to copy file at encfs mount point; it gives "permission denied" error,
> What might be the problem with encfs then ?
>
> Also tried with other_user with encfs but no success :-(

1. Ensure both encfs and sshfs are running as you, not root or any other
user.

2. Check for I/O errors both on the local box and the remote box (run
dmesg and look for suspicious logs).

3. Verify that you are able to create, delete and rename files on the
sshfs mountpoint directly.  Verify that newly-created files are writable
by you.

4. After mounting using sshfs and encfs, attach strace to the encfs
process (run strace -p <encfs-pid> -o ~/encfs.log -f), and try to create
a single file in the sshfs mountpoint (presumably this fails).  Then
detach the strace (C-c in that shell), and examine encfs.log for
permission errors (EPERM).  If you do not understand the log, reply back
with a link to the log.  The log might be large, so upload it to, for
example, paste.debian.net, rather than attaching it to your email.

--
regards,
kushal