Re: Thunderbird not working with Dovecot

David Guntner:
> Jochen Spieker grabbed a keyboard and wrote:
>>
>> https://support.mayfirst.org/wiki/speedup_thunderbird_imap
>
> Well, unless I'm looking at the wrong setting, I've got it configured
> for 1.  "Maximum number of connections to cache" in Advanced settings
> for the server is currently set to 1.  If there's a different setting
> controlling that, please let me know and I'll check it.

No, that should be it.

>> What did you use before Dovecot? A different IMAP server? Which one?
>
> I'm a Mandriva refugee, newly arrived to Debian. :-)  I was using a
> package that Mandriva didn't even include in the last couple of
> releases, which was called something like "2006k".

Ah, that was probably uw-imap which appears to be pretty much dead:

http://www.washington.edu/imap/

> Ok, I've just set "auth_debug = yes" - hopefully that will provide some
> clues.

Unfortunately, it doesn't.

>>> What they're describing doesn't seem related to the particular problem
>>> that *I'm* having, but I figured it couldn't hurt to put it in place.
>>
>> ACK.
>
> Is that your way of saying that I should turn that back off? :-)

No, I meant to say that I agree that it is unrelated but probably
doesn't hurt.

For further analysis, you can follow Dovecot's instructions. They even
have a separate page for TB:

http://wiki.dovecot.org/Debugging/Thunderbird

You can also try to upgrade to the backport[1] of Dovecot 2.1. Beware
that this upgrade involves the migration to conf.d-style configuration
files. But as I understand, you didn't have to tweak many things in the
original dovecot.conf anyway.

If this still doesn't help you might want to either ask the TB devs or
on the Dovecot mailing list. The latter is probably more promising, but
I am not sure whether version 1.2 is still supported in some way.

J.

[1]: http://wiki.debian.org/Backports

--
I hate myself but have no clear idea why.
[Agree]   [Disagree]