Re: Guide / Tools

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 03:31:37PM +1100, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> You might say where you're coming from - Windows, Fedora, ... ?
> aptitude search blah (or apt-cache search blah)
> aptitude show blah (or apt-cache show ...)
> ip
> route -n
> ping

So you use these commands everyday? Interesting. BTW, it is considered
rude to gratuitiously ping servers on the net.

IOW, I question that these commands are in common use everyday. The
exceptions being "apt-cache search" "apt-cache show", then again, they
probably are not used commonly everyday.

The answer to the OP's question depends very much on what you use your
computer for.

I tend to use lynx a lot, and of course vim, a bit of crafty, mutt, feh,
mplayer (mplayer2 actually, but the alternates system takes care of
that) rtorrent, wodim, devede ...

But instead, a better question might be, "I want to use my computer for
xyz, what software do you recommend?"

One answer could be "apt-cache search xyz" then take your pick.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X