Re: Guide / Tools

It depends on your uses as others have said.
In my case, I am a developer, which sadly does not uses linux at work
(hopefully that'll change someday).

I prefer command-line to graphical file explorer, and have a tiling window
manager (command-line without that kind of wm is a little less comfortable
IMHO).

So, here are my favorite commands:

xdg-open
cd (there are some tricks, like no args, using '/' or '~' to start the arg)
cp
mv
ls -lh
find -iname '*.foo'
grep -lri <regex> (find files containing the regex)
less
cat
cat <file> | grep <regex> (find all regex occurrences in file)
echo
du --max-depth=1 -h
df -h
mpc (for mpd control, mpd is a music player daemon)
cmake
make
gcc / g++
xrandr
syncclient
ifup
ifdown
ifconfig

some scripts (binded by keys in my window manager or not) I have in
~/.config/scripts, like one for rotating the screen of my netbook and
opening a pdf (wide screen are not nice for reading novels)

and software with some gui (ncurses or gtk is the same for me, anyway I
often start them with commandline):
aptitude
ncmpcpp
vim
codeblocks
meld
galculator
gftp
uzbl
wesnoth :D

I think that on linux, everyone have his own real world, so you will have
to learn by yourself depending on your favorite tools and uses. That's why
I sometimes think that maybe linux is hard to use, unlike windows. Here,
we can choose, and choosing wisely needs learning.
An idea for that is to build a list of tools you use, by using zim, for
example (a desktop wiki, very good to take notes).

PS: I am only using debian for a day to day basis since 2 years, so I
still have many things to learn, and many tools that lacks me.