SOLVED - systemd hangs on fstab "directory" bindmount - was Re: systemd intermittent startup

On 11/20/12, Zenaan Harkness <zen@freedbms.net> wrote:
> On 11/20/12, Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> wrote:
>> You mentioned, that you use some sort of encryption.
>> Posting more details (fstab, cryptab, etc) might help.
>> I suspect your problem is related to that.
> fstab:
> # / was on /dev/sda5 during installation # about 80GB
> UUID=e73a71d3-a391-40bc-9d45-55fa72f245c1 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
> # /boot was on /dev/sda3 during installation # about 300MB
> UUID=75e1d222-c9df-4d10-93de-9da4cf005158 /boot ext2 defaults 0 2
> # swap was on /dev/sda6 during installation # about 3GB
> UUID=25d4ff20-1c78-4e1d-bd2a-2a0060e85f9a none swap sw 0 0

OK, here's my bad, I ignored /media/usb* entries (which are not
relevant here), but also ignored two bind mount entries as follows (in
hindsight, guess I was rushing), which are the "systemd bug" exposing
culprits:

/zenlocal/zen/justa /home/justa none
bind,uid=1000,gid=1000,comment=systemd.automount 0 0

/zenlocal/zen/ /home/justa/zen none
bind,uid=1000,gid=1000,comment=systemd.automount 0 0

#[This setup provides for me to separate cruft in ~, /home/justa in
this case, from "my real files/ work files", which is /zenlocal/zen
bindmounted as ~/zen in this case.
This setup provides a very simple way to cleanly reinstall, then add a
few symlinks (after these two bindmounts), and we're off to the
races...]

Commenting out the second bindmount above sees systemd hang just the same.
Removing both, systemd starts fine.
So it's not a "systemd-induced bindmount circular-dependency problem",
but simply an systemd's inability to handle plain directory (not
device??) bindmounts.

As before:
$ systemctl --version
systemd 44
debian
+PAM +LIBWRAP +AUDIT +SELINUX +SYSVINIT +LIBCRYPTSETUP

debian wheezy, systemd 44-5

Can someone please forward this to the systemd devs. It appears quite
easy to test.

Finally, a workaround - I guess just move my directories manually into
place in order to avoid the bindmounts. I think I was doing the
bindmounts because at some point my "real home" was on a different
partition. Certainly I don't like the destop of the day trashing my
real home.

Either way, systemd's hand seems unfortunate.

TIA
Zenaan