SOLVED - systemd hangs on fstab "directory" bindmount - was Re: systemd intermittent startup

On 11/20/12, Zenaan Harkness <zen@freedbms.net> wrote:
> On 11/20/12, Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> wrote:
>> You mentioned, that you use some sort of encryption.
>> Posting more details (fstab, cryptab, etc) might help.
>> I suspect your problem is related to that.
> fstab:
> # / was on /dev/sda5 during installation # about 80GB
> UUID=e73a71d3-a391-40bc-9d45-55fa72f245c1 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
> # /boot was on /dev/sda3 during installation # about 300MB
> UUID=75e1d222-c9df-4d10-93de-9da4cf005158 /boot ext2 defaults 0 2
> # swap was on /dev/sda6 during installation # about 3GB
> UUID=25d4ff20-1c78-4e1d-bd2a-2a0060e85f9a none swap sw 0 0

OK, here's my bad, I ignored /media/usb* entries (which are not
relevant here), but also ignored two bind mount entries as follows (in
hindsight, guess I was rushing), which are the "systemd bug" exposing

/zenlocal/zen/justa /home/justa none
bind,uid=1000,gid=1000,comment=systemd.automount 0 0

/zenlocal/zen/ /home/justa/zen none
bind,uid=1000,gid=1000,comment=systemd.automount 0 0

#[This setup provides for me to separate cruft in ~, /home/justa in
this case, from "my real files/ work files", which is /zenlocal/zen
bindmounted as ~/zen in this case.
This setup provides a very simple way to cleanly reinstall, then add a
few symlinks (after these two bindmounts), and we're off to the

Commenting out the second bindmount above sees systemd hang just the same.
Removing both, systemd starts fine.
So it's not a "systemd-induced bindmount circular-dependency problem",
but simply an systemd's inability to handle plain directory (not
device??) bindmounts.

As before:
$ systemctl --version
systemd 44

debian wheezy, systemd 44-5

Can someone please forward this to the systemd devs. It appears quite
easy to test.

Finally, a workaround - I guess just move my directories manually into
place in order to avoid the bindmounts. I think I was doing the
bindmounts because at some point my "real home" was on a different
partition. Certainly I don't like the destop of the day trashing my
real home.

Either way, systemd's hand seems unfortunate.