Re: systemd intermittent startup

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 9:44 AM, Jon Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 07:44:39AM -0500, Tom H wrote:

>> The problem is that it's no longer possible for recent versions of
>> udev to compile it without compiling systemd too.
>
> The truth is a bit more complicated.  You can build just udev from the
> systemd sources: "make udevd" rather than the default "make". The
> developers have resisted requests to add another phony make target or
> configure options to just build udev, arguing that "make udevd" works
> just fine. However, I suspect it's more difficult to build all of the
> udev components *and pick them out for an install* than it was before
> they merged sources.

Thanks for the explanation (and apologies for the incorrect info). So
IIUC, you can compile udev but you need to have all the systemd
build-requires in order to build it.

I suspect that it's difficult or makes the build system more
complicated. But, IMO, the systemd developers should've made the
effort given the strong feelings that users/maintainers/developers
have about systemd in all distributions.

> The Debian udev package is still from pre-merge and not built from
> the systemd sources. I wonder what will happen post wheezy on that
> front…

Yes, wheezy's udev thankfully pre-merge. Given that there are a few
distributions that want and will want to have a standalone udev for
the lifetime of jessie, some agreement can be reached about compiling
it easily that way for the foreseeable future. The other solution
would be to fork udev, but I hope that it won't come to that.