Re: systemd intermittent startup

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 07:44:39AM -0500, Tom H wrote:
> The problem is that it's no longer possible for recent versions of
> udev to compile it without compiling systemd too.

The truth is a bit more complicated.  You can build just udev from the
systemd sources: "make udevd" rather than the default "make". The
developers have resisted requests to add another phony make target or
configure options to just build udev, arguing that "make udevd" works
just fine. However, I suspect it's more difficult to build all of the
udev components *and pick them out for an install* than it was before
they merged sources.

The Debian udev package is still from pre-merge and not built from
the systemd sources. I wonder what will happen post wheezy on that
front…