RE: can't install skype 4.1 in debian testing ; lost the working 4.0

On Mon, November 19, 2012 11:28, Mark Allums wrote:

>> and

I also had to revert to an older version, more on that below.

[...]

> Many, if not all, of the above dependencies will need to be i386 versions,
> including libc6.  You may need to download and install most of them
> individually using dpkg (or perhaps gdebi),

gdebi will take care of the dependencies for you.

>> > If you are running 64-bit, you will need to install some 32-bit
> libraries.
>> > The issue many people are having with Skype on Debian is the multiarch
>> > transition.  I think Skype/Microsoft has made changes with 4.1 that
> address
>> > some multiarch issues while creating others.  If this is the case ,
>> 4.0
> may
>> > not want to install properly, either.
>> >

>> I already have the required 32 bit libraries ( apt-get install
> lib32asound2 ia32-libs
>> ia32-libs-gtk)
>> and never faced any issue with 4.0

4.0 was not multi-arch aware, whereas 4.1 is. This means you no longer
need those ia32-libs installed for skype. Earlier I had 4.0 running using
multi-arch (the 32-bit version), so I didn't need them either way.

>> > Are you running Squeeze, Wheezy, or sid?
>> >
>> Wheezy 64 bit
>>
>> > Try this:
>> >
>> > #dpkg --add-architectecture i386
>> > #apt-get update
>> >
>> > Then try installing 4.1 package again.  As I said, you may need to add
> some
>> > 32-bit libraries.
>>
>> Yes, tried that too, but the same dependency problem.
>> Do you know any fix ?
>>
>> Thanks
>

> The only fix I know short of installing 32-bit Wheezy in a chroot or
> virtual
> machine is to satisfy all of the dependencies, which will all need to be
> i386 versions.  Don't worry; both the i386 and amd64 versions can be
> installed side-by-side.

The issue I had (running 64 bit wheezy) is that one of the qt4 libraries
is no installable as multi-arch i386, that library is not required in the
older skype version, hence why I had to revert.
The library conflicts with the debian.readme file of its AMD64 counterpart
if I recall correctly.
I'll file a bug report this evening, if no one beats me to it.

[...]

--
E-mail as text/plain is preferred.
A PGP signature is not available from this computer.