Re: systemd intermittent startup

On 11/19/12, Jon Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 03:07:54PM +1100, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
>> Is this the best place for systemd assistance?
>
> For systemd-in-Debian, most likely, yes.
>
>> First, systemd worked.
>> Now it hangs on bootup, with the following messages:
>
> What has changed? Have you upgraded systemd or other packages? From what
> version, to what version? (If you know / can figure it out)

Can't answer that. I re-installed the (Lenovo X220) laptop about 24
hrs ago since I could not "recover" my full-disk-encryption setup
after enabling/installing systemd the first time. I installed Wheezy
using debian-wheezy-DI-b3-amd64-DVD-1.iso

However I'm pretty sure I did an apt-get dist-upgrade off my local
debian mirror - which would have been no more than 72 hrs old, prior
to installing systemd.

And, I think the only interesting things I did otherwise was
installing screen, lighttpd, systemd-gui, gnome-system-tools,
gnome-system-monitor, and pinfo. Unfortunately I was not properly
aware of the "hang on boot" feature, or I would have taken more
careful notice of exactly the steps I took. Perhaps lighttpd, which is
supposed to be systemd compatible? Perhaps gnome-system-tools?

>> Looking at syslog, I get these sorts of red-colored entries (when
>> viewed with vim):
>
> Note that vim is colouring lines that match either 'error' or 'fail', so

Thanks.

> there may be relevant log lines that are not being coloured. As far as I
> can tell none of the lines you have provided are relevant. (But you are
> running a name daemon - on purpose?)

Oh, yes I remember that annoying dependency on bind9 where I went
"wft?" when installing something:
$ apt-cache rdepends bind9
bind9
Reverse Depends:
  task-dns-server
  samba4
  ldap2zone
 |ldap2dns
  ikiwiki-hosting-dns
  gadmin-bind
  dnssec-tools
  dlz-ldap-enum
 |dhis-tools-dns
 |dhis-dns-engine
 |education-main-server
  collectd-core
  bindgraph
  dnsutils
  bind9utils
 |autodns-dhcp

Yes, that's right, I installed samba4... Wanted to learn about it (to
upgrade my old samba3 shares conf) but haven't done any samba config
yet, including have not cp my old samba.conf ...

Zenaan