GDM3 very slow to load gnome

Hi,

I've installed gnome using tasksel and I'm running debian wheezy.
I've used rcconf and ticked gdm3 to start on boot.
However, it takes an incredibly long time to load gnome. From the point
where gdm3 is invoked to the desktop coming up (I have auto log in), is
over a minute. I am using a core I5 2.4 GHZ machine with 4 Gb of ram so
I'd expect it to be a bit faster. My netbook seems to load the GUI in
about half the time it takes on this machine.
Does anyone know how I can solve this problem?

It seems that the first time I invoke gdm3 whether it be automatically
on a boot or if I disable it from auto starting and then run the init
script myself is very slow, but restarting the gdm3 server after the
first time it has been started works in about 15-20 seconds.
So it is just the very first time each boot gdm3 is ran which is causing
me these problems.
I'm also using gnome 3, but I've set it to use fallback mode since I'm
blind and rather the old interface for accessibility, but I thought that
couldn't be the problem.

Thank you for any help.
Daniel