Re: sid is not for newbies. (was ... Re: The following packages will be REMOVED:)

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 19:51:32 -0500
Charles Kroeger <ckrogrr@frankensteinface.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 23:30:02 +0100
> Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
>
> > Please don't run Sid, if you don't understand the risk(
>
> I like risk, why else would I run it, how could I understand it if I
> didn't?

Multiboot? Sid + Testing or another Linux distro? And backup Sid
regularly! Don't sync backups, but keep at least two backup versions,
since nobody can test all possibilities after an update.

IMO it's good, if people are willing to test something that is in
development. OTOH I didn't follow this thread. If the OP needs a
reliable system and not new software, drivers etc., I would recommend
Debian Stable. If you need new software, drivers etc. I recommend
Debian Testing. If you need it more up to date switch the distro. Since
some time ago I preferred Arch Linux, but nobody should switch to Arch
now, thanks to a switch to systemd, it's a completely borked distro.
Ubuntu and Suse each half week come with new releases ;). My choice
at the moment is Ubuntu with Xfce4 (Ubuntu Studio or Xubuntu). IMHO, if
possible a user should stay with Debian stable. Even testing or other
distros, e.g. Ubuntu, not only ship with lates development, but also a
lots of risks.

Helping the community by being a tester is good, software version
hunting is idiotic. Everybody should balance pros and cons regarding to
the needs.

I only used stable and testing and derivatives, 64 Studio, AV Linux.

0,02€