Re: The following packages will be REMOVED:

On Wed, 2012-11-14 at 08:23 +0000, Jon Dowland wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 03:00:41PM -0500, Charles Kroeger wrote:
> > So since I don't have 'aptitude or aptitude-common' installed, why is apt-get
> > trying to remove all my non-free programs?
> >
> > Does it need to remove the non-free stuff before it can upgrade ia32-libs
> > ia32-libs-gtk?
>
> I suspect what is happening is the transition from ia32-libs to multiarch, and
> the non-free 3rd party packages have not been updated to work with the multiarch
> way of doing things.

It looks like that is exactly the case. I'm guessing you (Charles) are
running a 64-bit version of Sid (judging from your e-mail signature)?
Then it might be best to uninstall the conflicting non-free
applications, do your normal dist-upgrade, removing those 'ia32-libs'
and variants if possible. Afterwards you can enable multi-arch [1] by
using the command

dpkg --add-architecture i386

then updating the package list: apt-get update
When that is done you should be able to install the 32-bit versions of
those non-free programs. The fact that they require ia32-libs tells me
these are not true 64-bit programs, but really 32-bit, just like Skype.

I did the same for Skype, although I'm running Wheezy, not Sid.

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/HOWTO

Best regards,
Steven