Re: BackupPC restore problem

On 11/14/2012 05:53 PM, David Christensen wrote:
On 11/14/12 12:48, Gary Roach wrote:
I got home from vacation, fired up the systems and one of the hard
drives was trashed. Two days of recovery attempts didn't work so I
reformatted and reinstalled the Debian Squeeze system.

What do you mean by "trashed"?

Have you run any hardware diagnostics on the "trashed" drive, such as those by the drive manufacturer? For example:

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

Are you trying to use the "trashed" drive?

David

The /bin directory appears to have been corrupted somehow. With Knoppix I could gain access to all of the other data but was unable to access /bin. I don't know why this happened and that worries me. I tested everything during reformatting and installation and found nothing wrong with the drive. I'm not too worried because I have a complete backup system. Of course I am having trouble with the restore. The data's all there on the backup disk but BackupPC only restored the directories and none of the data. I am trying to create a tar file and manually transfer the data across but am having similar problems. The documentation for manually manipulating BackupPC is obtuse to say the least.

Gary R