loopback device not configured automatically

Hi,
    i am having trouble with my network manager,
   when i do `ifconfig` i can't see loopback device although it shows my machine's ip ,mac address and other info.
   also,i cant perform
`#ifdown eth0` , ` #ifdown lo ` ,`#ifup eth0` ,`#ifup lo`

i get following error

root@localhost:~# ifdown eth0
ifdown: interface eth0 not configured

~
root@localhost:~# ifdown lo
ifdown: interface lo not configured

my "/etc/network/interfaces" file is empty,if i manually add following lines in interfaces file everything works fine.

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

on normal system above settings are populated by itself(may be some  service is doing it) in "/etc/network/interfaces" file.

but on my system it's not working automatically ,do i need to enable any service to have this feature

thanks,