Re: loopback device not configured automatically

Hello my friend, it is very strange that your /etc/network/interfaces is empty, you should use the file to configure your interfaces and as far as I know - this file is not regenerated by any service. Please see man 5 interfaces and you will find the information how to setup your interfaces properly, it is quite simple if you need common settings.

     i am having trouble with my network manager,
    when i do `ifconfig` i can't see loopback device although it shows my
machine's ip ,mac address and other info.
    also,i cant perform
`#ifdown eth0` , ` #ifdown lo ` ,`#ifup eth0` ,`#ifup lo`

i get following error

root@localhost:~# ifdown eth0
ifdown: interface eth0 not configured

root@localhost:~# ifdown lo
ifdown: interface lo not configured

my "/etc/network/interfaces" file is empty,if i manually add following
lines in interfaces file everything works fine.

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

on normal system above settings are populated by itself(may be some
service is doing it) in "/etc/network/interfaces" file.

but on my system it's not working automatically ,do i need to enable any
service to have this feature

Roman V.Leon.