Re: partitions - primary vs logical and bootability

At Sat, 10 Nov 2012 16:09:36 -0600,
Charles Blair wrote:

>    I am trying to set up a dual-boot windows 7 / wheezy.

Can you install grub2 to the MBR and have it boot both debian and
MSWindows?  This worked fine to dual-boot WinXP.

> As I understand it, / must be bootable, which seems to mean it must
> be a primary partition.

AFAIK, an MBR-installed grub doesn't care about partition boot flags.
Only if you have a DOS MBR and grub installed to a PARTITION does the
boot flag matter.

Grub2 should be able to handle / and /boot on a logical partition.

Actually, I prefer to use LVM rather than individual partitions, and
grub2 CAN load kernels from an LVM / or /boot.

Cheers,

-ntd