Re: compiling (or rather, failing to compile) a kernel

On Sat, 10 Nov 2012 13:46:09 -0500 (EST), Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Nov 2012 Lisi Reisz wrote:
>> I have been trying to get to grips with compiling a custom kernel.  I
>> have been shying away for too long.
>>
>> I am following Stephen's marvellous work, and had got this far:
>>
>> http://users.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm#Unpack
>
> This appears to be really old.

The above document was last revised on August 4, 2012.  I wouldn't classify
that as "really old".  Perhaps you assumed that it is old because I
recommend using kernel-package, rather than "make deb-pkg" or some
other newer method.  kernel-package has been around a while, yes.  But I
recommend it for what I consider to be good reasons, which are explained
over time in the document.  You are, of course, entitled to disagree with
my opinion.  But it's not old.  I make an effort to keep it up to date,
and suggestions are welcome.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :