Re: Debian repository on external USB

On Tue, Nov 06, 2012 at 04:32:17PM +0000, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> * Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@gmail.com> [121106 07:03]:
> > etc would be needed. and due to the problem of slow bandwidth i want
> > to make a local/portable repository server so that i can point the
> > repository and just use apt-get command for any installation. instead
>
> What you need is an "approx" server.  You can set up one on an old
> machine it the LAN, or even on a laptop which you pack back and forth.
> Set up takes all of five or ten minutes, and involves only one short
> configuration file on the approx server, and editing the
> "sources.list" file of each machine in the LAN to redirect requests to
> the approx server.

+1

Except I've never used approx, only apt-cacher-ng.  It works the same
way.

These are both caching apt proxies.  You don't need to fully populate a
repository.  The cache "builds itself" as clients request files.  If the
file is in the cache, the cached copy is delivered.  If the file is not
in the cache, it is downloaded from the internet, delivered to the
client, and saved in the cache.

-Rob