Re: Configure GRUB 2

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 3:01 AM, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 08 November 2012 05:02:23 Tom H wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 5:55 PM, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> As I understand the GRUB manual, if I want to change the config file,
>>> then i have to edit /etc/default/grub. I want to change the order of the
>>> kernels in GRUB, but I can't see any kernels at all in /etc/default/grub.
>>> (See below.) So how do I boot from the earlier kernel?
>>
>> Are you trying to re-order the kernels of the installation where
>> grub's installed or the kernels of other installations?
>
> And yes, the two kernels where GRUB is installed. I simply can't see any menu
> there, so how do I alter the menu order?

Since it's the kernels where grub's installed, there are three ways:

1) Set "GRUB_DEFAULT=N" in "/etc/default/grub" where N is the number
of the menuentry of the kernel that you want to boot (where the first
is 0 not 1) and run "update-grub".

2) Set "GRUB_DEFAULT=saved" and "GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true", run
"update-grub", and boot from the kernel that you want to use by
default.

3) Set "GRUB_DEFAULT=saved", run "grub-set-default N", and run "update-grub".

I have no idea what the advantages and disadvantages of the three methods are...