Re: Configure GRUB 2

On Thursday 08 November 2012 05:02:23 Tom H wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 5:55 PM, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> > As I understand the GRUB manual, if I want to change the config file,
> > then i have to edit /etc/default/grub.  I want to change the order of the
> > kernels in GRUB, but I can't see any kernels at all in /etc/default/grub.
> > (See below.) So how do I boot from the earlier kernel?
> We need more information.
> Are you trying to re-order the kernels of the installation where
> grub's installed or the kernels of other installations?

I have upgraded the kernel rather disastrously and want to go back by default
to the older kernel.  I also want to find out how to do this, since in GRUB 1
it was extremely easy.  I then want to compile the older kernel to have the
correct, older video drivers; which at present it hasn't, which is the
problem.  It has the wrong video drivers, or rather, hasn't got the right

And yes, the two kernels where GRUB is installed.  I simply can't see any menu
there, so how do I alter the menu order?  I'll put the /etc./default/grub
file below my signature again.

# Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs
# This works with Linux (no patch required) and with any kernel that obtains
# the memory map information from GRUB (GNU Mach, kernel of FreeBSD ...)

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
# note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
# you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries

# Uncomment to get a beep at grub start
#GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"