Re: Configure GRUB 2

On Thursday 08 November 2012 05:02:23 Tom H wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 5:55 PM, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> > As I understand the GRUB manual, if I want to change the config file,
> > then i have to edit /etc/default/grub.  I want to change the order of the
> > kernels in GRUB, but I can't see any kernels at all in /etc/default/grub.
> > (See below.) So how do I boot from the earlier kernel?
>
> We need more information.
>
> Are you trying to re-order the kernels of the installation where
> grub's installed or the kernels of other installations?

I have upgraded the kernel rather disastrously and want to go back by default
to the older kernel.  I also want to find out how to do this, since in GRUB 1
it was extremely easy.  I then want to compile the older kernel to have the
correct, older video drivers; which at present it hasn't, which is the
problem.  It has the wrong video drivers, or rather, hasn't got the right
ones.

And yes, the two kernels where GRUB is installed.  I simply can't see any menu
there, so how do I alter the menu order?  I'll put the /etc./default/grub
file below my signature again.

Thanks,
Lisi
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

# Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs
# This works with Linux (no patch required) and with any kernel that obtains
# the memory map information from GRUB (GNU Mach, kernel of FreeBSD ...)
#GRUB_BADRAM="0x01234567,0xfefefefe,0x89abcdef,0xefefefef"

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
#GRUB_TERMINAL=console

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
# note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
# you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux
#GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
#GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_RECOVERY="true"

# Uncomment to get a beep at grub start
#GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"