Re: Can grub2 1.99-23 support /boot inside LVM ?

On 06/11/2012 08:47, Gour wrote:
On Tue, 6 Nov 2012 10:55:40 +0530
"J. B"<bakshi12@gmail.com>  wrote:

Can I go for completely encrypted disk now, i.e. /boot inside the LVM
? Has any one checked ? Please share your findings.

Don't know about encryption, but I use wheezy (installed few days ago)
on a system withoput /boot, using LVM on top of raid-1.

Sincerely,
Gour

Hi Gour,

it can work, I run a lvm on luks setup on a laptop with everything inside the lvm, the system is (k)ubuntu. Wheezy should have all required components to run this kind of setup, I just didn't have time to try yet. Maybe you want to try with a test system first, possibly in a virtual environment.

That being said, it's an undocumented setup (if anyone knows of a good doc please share), it's not endorsed by the distribution, as such it can break at any time due to an update or some grub hickups. It also requires you to manually configure your system after installation since no installer I know of will let you put everything inside a (raid) + luks + lvm container. If you are not familiar with luks, grub, lvm and such I would advise to stick to the known working design with separate /boot.

If you want to try first google around or better go to grub development list archive [1] and search for "/boot on luks" or other "/boot + crypt + luks" keywords, you will find hints on how to make such a setup.

[1] http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.comp.boot-loaders.grub.devel