Re: Advice on system purchase

Am Mittwoch, 31. Oktober 2012 schrieb Stan Hoeppner:
> > http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2411546,00.asp
> >

> > Although to be fair, Stan was talking about desktops, and this is
> > about servers.
>
> If it ever gets off the ground.  The super high density application
> sever space within the sever market is small, specialized, and the
> requirement for x86 pervasive.  If this weren't true we'd already see 8
> socket 32-way 1U ARM servers on the market, and we don't.  We don't see
> any ARM servers.  I doubt AMD will sell many of the ARM based blades.
>
> At some point AMD will drop the ARM idea.  Then, if they smarten up,
> they'll move the non-APU AthlonII x4 core to 32nm, bin sort and clock
> down some chips to 1.6-2GHz to get TDP down to 20-25 watts--not as low
> as Atom, but much more powerful.  The rest they'll clock at 3.6-4.8GHz
> (plus turbo) and sell them as faster version of the current non-APU AII
> x4.

Phoronix.com has a test running where a ARM multicore machine could not
beat an Ivybridge machine by power consumption / processing power ratio.

You just need too many ARM cores to at least theoretically reach a similar
performance than the Ivybridge. And then this too many ARM cores consume
more power than the Ivybridge.

And then the application itself has to scale to this many cores, which is
more likely to achieve with scalable server applications however.

Whether ARM will reach desktop market or not, I leave this open.

Then there is China with their MIPS based Longson CPUs.

I do not think that x86 architecture as only option in desktop market is
set in stone for forever.

But granted I find it a pity that soo much variety of CPU platforms has
gone already. I still have an m68k Amiga and a PowerPC based Amiga
successor here¹. And heck this embedded PowerPC CPU doesn´t even have a
passive cooling. Granted it has not anything near the power of modern x86
CPUs and the board prices are expensive to put it mildly, but the board
has its elegance and there are a bit more performant variants available
meanwhile. That said AmigaOS 4.1 does really fast on it, except when it
comes to run complex / big computing intensive applications. And computing
intensive starts a bit earlier here than on modern x86 based systems.

[1] http://www.acube-systems.biz/index.php?page=hardware&pid=1

Ciao,