Re: compiling a Debian package

> libdvdcss2 brute forces the decryption on the disk and, so, might be
> considered circumvention under the DMCA. This IS allowed in some cases
> and in various other jurisdictions, but it's not really a sensible move
> for Debian to freely distribute such a package.

I'm aware that there are legal issues involved.  Are there such issues
with other software that is available only from dmo and not in Debian,
like cinelerra?

It is not illegal to use NVIDIA drivers, yet they are deprecated,
without alternative.  It is probably not illegal to use firmware to get
hardware working that doesn't work without, yet firmware is deprecated,
without alternative.

The obsession with free software unfortunately leads to dead ends.
Apparently even developers now don't want to stay 20 years behind
technology anymore, so they have regressed to deprecate everything
that's not free software to force the issue.  That's probably leading to
a dead end as well, and I don't want to get stuck there.

--
Debian testing iad96 brokenarch