Re: compiling a Debian package

Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> writes:

> On Ma, 30 oct 12, 21:09:51, lee wrote:
>>
>> You're ignoring that you cannot run 32bit apps on amd64 anymore ---
>> support for that has been removed and they want to force users to switch
>> to brokenarch which doesn't work.
>
> Firstly, you could have specified that instead of broad statements like
> "32 bit support has been removed from Debian". Debian is much more than
> the amd64 architecture.

That is what 32bit support is about.

> Secondly, so far you have not provided any evidence to this.

Just try it and you'll see.  Or you figure out how to do it and let me
know.  Like I said, it worked, then there was an update and it doesn't
work anymore, probably because they modified the NVIDIA drivers, though
nobody knows.  I've sent a bug report and it has been ignored.  People
suggested that we're now forced to switch to brokenarch and to use
packages from unstable, which I tried a couple times, and it made things
worse and didn't work and creates dependency problems.

It'll be fun to watch people upgrading to the next release and then find
out that their 32bit software doesn't work anymore.  And it's certainly
no fun that Debian becomes more and more like windoze in being
unreliable, in telling you what software and drivers you can or should
use and some other things.  Maybe I need to switch to windoze so I can
run the software I want and use drivers that allow me to actually make
use of my hardware without being frowned upon rather than being told
that everything is deprecated and that there is no alternative for it or
only a ridiculously crappy one.

--
Debian testing iad96 brokenarch