Re: Advice on system purchase

Am Sonntag, 28. Oktober 2012 schrieb Marc Shapiro:
> My main worry is the hard drive.  I currently have what I think is its
> older cousin, a 1 TB SATA II drive.  It works perfectly and I have
> always liked Seagate drives.  I know that there are people out there
> who  have had trouble with Seagate, but there are also many who have
> not. Any individual drive can be a lemon.  That's not my problem. The
> question that I have is that this drive seams to have Advanced Format
> 4K sectors.  The ad says that there are no utilities to run and no
> extra integration steps.  I have read enough posts here about problems
> with Advanced Format to be wary of their claim, though.  Does anyone
> have experience with this drive, or with other Seagate drives with 4K
> sectors and Seagate SmartAlign?

Install Wheezy.

It aligns to partitions 1 MiB. Heck, I think even Squeeze does.

But avoid disks that are using 4 KiB sectors while advertising 512 Byte
sectors to the OS if those still exist.

I think if you get current hardware then install Wheezy anyway. I think
its not worth the trouble to install updated kernel on Squeeze to get
access to Intel Sandybridge/Ivybridge or current AMD as well as USB 3
support.