Re: How to update

On 10/25/2012 02:09 PM, Wayne Topa wrote:
On 10/25/2012 02:41 PM, Edwin Zarthrusz wrote:
Can you send me a straight-forward list of commands for updating and applying any necessary security patches and such on my install? And is there a way of getting it to update automatically?

apt-get and aptitude are the main tools used for updating a Debian system. They are similar tools, and the use of one or the other is largely a matter of preference. Google can tell you more about which tool to use; I almost always use aptitude, but in the examples below, you could use either aptitude or apt-get.

#aptitude update && aptitude dist-upgrade

or

# aptitude update && aptitude safe-upgrade

You can google for "apt-get safe-upgrade vs dist-upgrade" (dist-upgrade I think has now been renamed to full-upgrade) to get an idea of which method you might prefer. The short answer is that safe-upgrade is more conservative and less likely to break things, whereas dist-upgrade will upgrade things that safe-upgrade won't. I almost always use dist-upgrade.

The && simply means do the second command once the first command completes successfully. (If the first command is unsuccessful, the second command will not run.) You could also break the commands into two separate command lines if you prefer, like so:

# aptitude update
# aptitude dist-upgrade

Or you could use a gui tool like Synaptic.

You could build a cron job to automate the process, although you'd probably have to feed an extra parameter or two to apt-get/aptitude to tell it to assume Yes answers to any questions it asks, etc. I think simply adding "-y" to the end of the command will do the job.

--
Kent West<*)))><
http://kentwest.blogspot.com