Re: Screenshots

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 09:11:53AM -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:
> On 23/10/12 05:06 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >Most screenshot tools allow to select and they also allow to give a name
> >and automatically add numbers to the name. If you want to do more, I
> >recommend to use http://shutter-project.org/ .
> >

>   Well ImageMagicks import doesn't allow this ( or I couldn't find
> it in imports massive manual )..that's why Lees solution works fine
> for me.
> I did use shutter for a while sometime ago ...but found it overkill
> for what I need now.

I use scrot, and do it like this:
#!/bin/bash

filedate=$(date +%m%d%y%H%M%S)

scrot $filedate.jpg

gthumb $filedate.jpg

exit

Then I can crop or do whatever in gthumb.
I also have a keybinding in my openbox rc.xml set to fire this script
off by pressing the "Print Screen" button.
Most WM or DE have some means of mapping a command to a button or
keybinding.
So, I just fire off the button, then preview the shot in gthumb, and, as
mentioned, can crop, resize, etc., if desired.
Gthumb even has utilities to upload to flickr, picasa, and, I think,
facebook (I don't use those, but they're there for those who want them).

Of course, this could also be done just as easily with ImageMagick,
and, someone posted a more efficient means, by just including the
filedate part in the file name, even.
(I am no skilled scripter...always taking the long way around the
barn...)

./tony
--
http://www.tonybaldwin.me