Re: aptitude vs apt-get (was ... Re: mount cdrom?)

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 8:16 AM, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday 19 October 2012 16:05:46 Kelly Clowers wrote:
>>
>> I swear I saw it on the Aptitude page on the Debian wiki, but I guess
>> it was somewhere else, because I just looked and it is not.
>
> "I swear I _saw_ it" - past tense!  Perhaps it was there but is not there now.
>
> Aptitude did have some definite advantages over apt- , but they are now much
> more level pegging.  (And no, I do not want a flame war over "my apt is
> better than your apt" .... !) I still use aptitude most of the time, because
> I know it better.

>> Oh well. I mean obviously people are free to use what they want, I
>> just cannot understand why anyone would use apt-* when there is
>> aptitude. And 90% of the time I use interactive mode, which doesn't
>> exist *at all* in apt-*, and when I do use the CLI, one command for
>> installing searching, etc. is more convent than several.
>
> I agree!

I guess it would make less difference on stable, not much needs to be
done there.

But I use unstable+experimental, and use some outside repos like
debian-multimedia and wine repos, and at times I have run a mixed
Debian/Ubuntu system (I wanted newer GTK et al that was not in
unstable or even experimental (during a freeze)). Trust me, that was
hairy enough sorting out dependencies *with* aptitude interactive
mode, you don't want to try with apt-get!

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers