Re: Number of Debian packages available.

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 11:30:41AM +0100, Lisi wrote:
> Hello, all!
> I have searched Wikipedia and the Debian wiki.  I have Googled.  I am clearly
> using the wrong search terms, although I tried rewording in sundry different
> ways.
>
> Approximately, in round terms, how may packages are available in Debian
> (Squeeze?)
> 1. in main
> 2. in main, contrib and non-free

See Debian Reference on Debian site which should be displaying such
number scanned last night :-) I just updated.

  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#listofdebianarchivearea

 area     number of packages
 main            38064
 contrib           231
 non-free          508

This is for upcoming wheezy :)

> I have an idea of roughly 20,000 in my head, but cannot remember why I think
> it and it may be vastly out.  Nor into which of my two categories the figure
> falls, if by any miracle it is correct.

Off by half

Osamu